Safe Speed Forum
- quality of life is savaged by excessive speed
- speed increases trip length. 'If you can go faster, you go further'
- 40% of trips taken by car are less than 2 km
- Portsmouth, UK, has adopted a 30 kph speed limit
- lower speeds mean there is no need for expensive engineering solutions in local streets
- its wrong to go 'bitty bitty' - a whole system of consistently lowered speed limits is required
- 'its unethical to compromise safety for other benefits'
- In Sweden the desired urban character has been defined as providing accessibility, security, safety and environment
- each death costs the state $1m